Ahead of our newest podcast episode, we decided to take a look at the life and achievements of our latest podcast guest, Robert McKee. Described as the ‘Aristotle of our time’, here are 8 things you need to know about the legendary Robert McKee:
1) Robert McKee is a world renowned screen-writing lecturer, previously lecturing at the University of Southern California before moving his workshop to a global scale. Over 100,000 students worldwide have taken his courses since the 1980s.
2) His book ‘Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting’ is a worldwide bestseller.
3) He has dedicated the last 30 years to educating and mentoring screenwriters, novelists, playwrights, poets, documentary makers, producers, and directors internationally.
4) McKee’s former students include over 60 Academy Award Winners, 200 Academy Award Nominees, 200 Emmy Award Winners, 1000 Emmy Award Nominees, 100 WGA (Writers Guild of America) Award Winners, 250 WGA Award Nominees, and 50 DGA (Directors Guild of America) Award Winners, 100 DGA Award Nominees.
5) McKee is a project consultant to most major film and television production companies. His clients include Disney, MTV, Pixar, ABC, BBC, and Paramount to name a few.
6) His seminars focus on storytelling, the choices available to writers, and developing narrative game plans for businesses, with MNCs such as Nike, Microsoft and Siemens attending his seminars.
7) McKee is the founder of www.storylogue.com, a site for ‘writer’s education’. Storylogue provides new content 365 days a year and acts as a mentor to writers all over the world.
8) He also runs a writers blog, sharing his expert tips in the form of Q&A Youtube videos.
Anna Henderson @Anna_Hend